Eugenio Maria de Hostos Charter School
• 1st bilingual charter school in the state of Pennsylvania; grades K-8; 440 students
• 97% student attendance; 95% student retention; 90% teacher retention
• 8 consecutive years of achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)
• 2011 School Performance Index (SPI) score of 2 out of 10 (1 is the top score for exemplary performance)
School Initiatives: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Progarm, 90/10 Bilingual Model, Lego Robotics
Due to a high demand for student enrollment and limited space, Hostos uses a lottery system to randomly select eligible students for acceptance. All students living in Philadelphia are welcome to enter the online lottery between now and the end of February. Parents will be notified during the third week of March as to their student’s acceptance status.
The lottery for the 2017-2018 School Year has closed
Alberto Vargas, School Principal
Letter from the Principal, 2016-2017 School Year:
It is indeed a pleasure to welcome all our returning students and our new students to the 2016-2017 school year! The teachers, staff and I are excited and look forward to sharing many academic experiences with our students.
Hostos is a wonderful place for students from diverse backgrounds to grow educationally, get involved, and have a meaningful elementary and middle school experience. We strive to create an environment where each and every student is given the attention necessary to achieve his/her individual success. Using the PA Core Standards as our guide, we assure that our students are prepared to achieve in the future.
All of this is made possible by strong partnerships that are developed with our parents; we will work together for an enjoyable and successful school year. As always, if you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thank you for choosing Eugenio Maria de Hostos Charter School. I look forward to a great year!
-Alberto Vargas, Principal
Alberto Vargas a Dominican-American was born in New York but raised in South Philadelphia. He graduated from Central High School and attended Temple University where he earned a Bachelor degree in Business and a Masters in Elementary Education. Alberto earned his principal certification at Gwynedd Mercy College.
Alberto has been involved in education since 1993, as an elementary teacher, Assistant Principal and currently the Principal at Eugenio Maria de Hostos Charter School. His leadership philosophy follows the quote: “Lead by example”.
Alberto’ s pride and joy are his kids Alberto Jr. and Carina. Presently, Alberto Jr. is attending Penn State University, and Carina is attending Bryant University
School Documents and Public Information
- Title I Parent Letter – 1 (English) / Título I Carta 1 para los Padres (Español)
- Title I Parent Letter – 2 (English) / Título I Carta 2 para los Padres (Español)
- Hostos Parent Involvement Policy 2015-2016 (English) / Política de Involucramiento de los Padres de Familia de Hostos (Español)
6301 N. 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19120