Eugenio Maria de Hostos Charter School
- 1st bilingual charter school in the state of Pennsylvania; grades K-8; 440 students
- 97% student attendance; 95% student retention; 90% teacher retention
- 8 consecutive years of achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)
- 2011 School Performance Index (SPI) score of 2 out of 10 (1 is the top score for exemplary performance)
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Progarm, 90/10 Bilingual Model, Lego Robotics
Enrollment for the 2018-2019 School Year
Due to a high demand for student enrollment and limited space, our school uses a lottery system to randomly select eligible students for acceptance. All students living in Philadelphia are welcome to enter the lottery online or in person. The online lottery will be open between October 2, 2017 and March 1, 2018. Paper applications are available for submission in the main office between February 1 and March 1 2018. Parents will be notified during the third week of March as to their student’s acceptance status.
School Documents and Public Information
- Title I Parent Letter – 1 (English) / Título I Carta 1 para los Padres (Español)
- Title I Parent Letter – 2 (English) / Título I Carta 2 para los Padres (Español)
- Hostos Parent Involvement Policy 2015-2016 (English) / Política de Involucramiento de los Padres de Familia de Hostos (Español)
Alberto Vargas a Dominican-American was born in New York but raised in South Philadelphia. He graduated from Central High School and attended Temple University where he earned a Bachelor degree in Business and a Masters in Elementary Education. Alberto earned his principal certification at Gwynedd Mercy College.
Alberto has been involved in education since 1993, as an elementary teacher, Assistant Principal and currently the Principal at Eugenio Maria de Hostos Charter School. His leadership philosophy follows the quote: “Lead by example”.
Alberto’ s pride and joy are his kids Alberto Jr. and Carina. Presently, Alberto Jr. is attending Penn State University, and Carina is attending Bryant University
6301 N. 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19120