Olney Charter High School
• Grades 9-12, 1765 students
• New furniture, technology, curriculum, interior paint, and 240 surveillance cameras
• Student Excellence Center and Parent Empowerment Center
• Much local media recognition, including articles in The Notebook, Metropolis, Impacto, and Al Dia magazines.
• 1st year academic results: reading proficiency from 18% to 30%; math proficiency from 16% to 32%
• Of all Philadelphia high schools, Olney ranked #10 in math and #17 in reading on the 2012 PVAAS (PA Value-Added Assessment System) growth measure
• 1st year graduation rate of 93%
Letter from the Principal, 2015-16 School Year:
Dear Olney Charter High School Parents and Community,
As the new principal of Olney Charter High School, I would like to introduce myself to the Olney community and welcome everyone back for what I am anticipating will be a great school year. We are all excited to have students back in our classrooms and hallways, filling them with energy and enthusiasm for learning. It is our mission to create young leaders through education, in an environment which allows all students to feel welcome, connected, and a part of the Olney family. Additionally, we strive to challenge each student to grow in his or her academic abilities and to be college-ready by the end of four years. At Olney Charter High School, we have great teachers who spend hours planning and creating classroom activities to engage our students in learning. Our teachers use research-based best practices and analyze academic data to determine current skill levels when setting goals for growth and improvement. We believe that all students can and should graduate from high school prepared for the demands of post-secondary education, meaningful careers and effective citizenship.
I am honored to serve as the new principal of Olney Charter High School. It is truly my privilege to enter into a community where parents, teachers and students care for each other and strive to build positive relationships that support academic and social growth. I look forward to meeting you all on the first day of school, August 31, 2015. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns at (215) 456-3014 or at email@example.com.
Let’s make the 2015 – 2016 school year another great year at Olney Charter High School!
Principal, James Thompson, Bio:
After graduating from Rutgers University, James Thompson began working for the Camden City School District in special education where he was named “Teacher of the Year” for two consecutive years. During his tenure there, he earned two Master’s Degrees from Wilmington University in School Leadership and Counseling.
After six years in the Camden district, he briefly left to pursue an opportunity at Camden County College as Assistant to the Dean, and Assistant Director of the EOF Program. This opportunity provided the administrative experience needed to return to the Camden City School District as a Vice-Principal, Supervisor, and Principal at his Alma Mater Camden High School.
In June 2014, he was inducted into the Camden High School Hall of Fame for his career accomplishments and service to the Camden City community before being made principal of Olney Charter High School.
School Documents and Public Information
- Title I Parent Letter – 1 (English) / Título I Carta 1 para los Padres (Español)
- Title I Parent Letter – 2 (English) / Título I Carta 2 para los Padres (Español)
100 West Duncannon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19120